This program was created to assist the Shire of Toodyay and its diverse, regional community with youth-related crime issues.
The Toodyay Inclusive Community Program aimed to:
- Strengthen the community by utilising, empowering and activating local assets through the Toodyay Inclusive Community Program.
- Developing activities including historical treasures, tree planting, community music jam, skateboarding, tennis and football.
- Extensive support from the community and business leaders.
- Total of 5,654 hours of inclusive sport and recreation.
- Decrease in the number of youth related offences in the first 12 months.
- Crime rates dropped during the holiday period, enhancing Toodyay as a prime tourist location for families during the school holidays.
- About 50% of all new members were not part of any club or group at the time of registration.
- Shire of Toodyay accessed new funding streams.
- 2015 Community Safety Award.Promoting local businesses and community groups and consequently engaged many people who were not connected to any clubs or group.
What happened next:
The Toodyay Inclusive Community Program now attracts many visitors to the region, promoting Toodyay and a safe, vibrant and welcoming community. Similar outcomes have been seen in communities such as Northam, Esperance, Karratha and Carnarvon over the past few years.